Thursday, December 03, 2009

It's Fishy Business

I have gone a carbless diet recently. This means that I have totally cut my body out from carbohydrates, in return I consume a whole lot of fish and veggies. This brings me to the topic of this post. BUYING FISH.

I went to a supermarket with those indoor wet-market kind of concepts and decided that I should have steamed fish for my dinner. I stared at the tray filled, ice packed tables of catches of the day and wondered what fish could I recall my mom steaming. I literally had to wreck my brains to remember how the fish looked like on the plate decorated with tomatoes and ginger. Finally I managed to find one I recalled eating since I was a little girl, which was the white pomfret. So I simply chose the one that had the nicest skin. Hur, which turn out to be really fresh! According to my mom.*P.S that ain't the way to choose fish*

Well, the next day I decided to try my luck again, andthis time I thought my luck would come twice and boy was I wrong. I accidentally bought the imitation pomfret according to my mom again. It was uber fishy!!! and when I bought him he was still alive! I had to ask the staff to help me catch him. He was really hardy, didn't want to die dispite smacking him against the wall and slicing him... He still didn't give up after we dressed him up in tomato slices and brown bean paste, he was still pulsating!! Creepy...But he was yummy after he was steamed but left a really fishy after taste.

Today, I went back again, this time with the intention to try a different fish, turns out I bought the pomfret AGAIN by accident, this time I bought the black pomfret, which according to my mom is still in the family of pomfret and is not imitation, but thing is this guy is like the poor relative of a rich empire. I purchased the white pomfret at $6.80 and the imitation at $6.50 and this supposedly same family pomfret was $3.50. My mom followed to explain the price difference was due to the fact that no matter how fresh he is, he can only be fried, cause if you did try to steam him, it would be really stinky. I was like WHAT? He's cheaper cause he isn't tasty when steamed even though he like super tasty when fried????? Jeess...Looks like humans weren't the only species who has to deal with this society problems. Well, he was tasty after my mom fried him.

Thats all so far with regards to my fishy tales... Keep posted on my carbless diet..Its really not easy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home